HOW-TO: Create shortcuts for Emoji in OS X Mac Lion
If you are tired of doing Edit > Special Characters every time you want to use Emoji characters, I have a solution for you.
1. Go to System Preferences and click on Text & Language
2. Go on to the tab “Text”
3. Click on “+” and in the left column called “Replace” type the smiley you want to be replaced by an Emoji. For example, type “:)”
4. Now open the special characters window. For this, click on Edit > Special Characters or hit Command+Option+T. Find the Emoji you want and copy it.
5. Go back to the Language window and click twice on the right column called “With” and paste the Emoji there. Now click Enter.
There you go – everytime you will type :) it will be replaced by the corresponding Emoji.
6. Repeat the process for all the smileys you want to be converted into Emoji. For example, you can do ;) :P or even <3
Now everytime you will use Mail the smileys you write will be changed into Emoji, which will save you a lot of time!
VOILA! MAGIC, no?
If you liked this tutorial, feel free to share it! :)